our group is guided by the following principles
- We believe in the inherent value of all women.
- We believe that the state of a woman’s motherhood is highly dependent on the state of her womanhood. We encourage all mothers to value, respect and advocate for themselves, and expect others to do the same in ways that keeps them safe.
- Mothers cannot give from a depleted source. Every mother needs emotional, mental, physical and spiritual valudation, nourishment and support. When a mother is respected and well cared for, she, and her whole family, will benefit.
- We believe that speaking the truth about motherhood is a revolutionary act which breaks the silence and and isolation in women. In our groups we support mothers in naming the deep challenges they are experiencing, knowing that there are few places where mothers can be truthful about the full spectrum of their experience.
- Mothers are raising the next generation. What we do for ourselves and our families today will ripple far into the future. We all want to raise our children to be the strong and loving adults, leaders and parents they can be. Mothering is the most important job there is.
- We know that mothering can be both a joyful and a challenging experience. We explore the complex realities of the motherhood experience. We do not sugarcoat it, but look for opportunities to find the gold, even in the darkest places.
- We know that motherhood is a powerful growth experience for a woman. We do not need to be perfect to be perfectly good mothers. You are the right mother for your children.
- We have confidence that every woman has the wisdom within to navigate her life when she feels heard, validated and honored for who she is, as she is.
Life After Birth is an affiliate of PSI of WA (Postpartum Support International of Washington). We utilize the MotherWoman model of facilitation, from which we have obtained the above principles.